Military Family Education

Your family may be eligible to receive education benefits as a result of your military service. Several options are available to them.

Post 9/11 GI Bill: This bill gives service members and veterans the ability to transfer educational benefits to a dependent. You may transfer up to 36 months of your unused educational benefit to a dependent, meaning a spouse or child under the age of 26.

The transferability benefit is available to members of the armed forces who:

  • Is on active duty as of August 1, 2009
  • Have at least 6 years of service and reenlist for at least 4 more years
  • Have completed at least 10 years of service when they elect to transfer benefits
  • Are eligible for retirement from active duty from August 1, 2009 through August 1, 2013.

To transfer your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your spouse or a child, the beneficiary must enroll in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System. Next, complete the application to determine if your dependents are eligible for transferability. Lastly, the beneficiary must apply to use transferred benefits.

Scholarships for Family: Many scholarship programs have been established just for the families of individuals in the Armed Forces. A great resource to search for available scholarships is

Education Assistance Programs:
As a family member of a service member, you may be eligible for a number of government and private education assistance programs. Here are a few that are currently available:

Military Spouse Career Advancement Account: The CAA helps military spouses earn an education with a benefit of up to $6000. This program helps produce professionals that are able to sustain careers through multiple relocations. This program in only offered to spouses of service members assigned to certain installations. To learn more about this program, visit the CAA website.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program: The DEA provides financial assistance to the children and spouses of deceased or disabled service members or those who were missing in action or captured in line of duty. Eligible participants can receive up to 45 months of benefits. Find out if you’re eligible to participate in this program at

Additional Programs Offered by Each Branch of Service: Research the following service benefits. You may be eligible to receive some money toward your education, helping you on your way.

Air Force:

General George S. Brown Spouse Tuition Assistance Program (STAP)

General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant Program


Stateside Spouse Education Assistance Program (SSEAP)

Spouse Education Assistance Program (EAP)

Coast Guard:

Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Education Programs

Coast Guard Foundation Scholarships

Marine Corps:

Navy-Marine Corp Relief Society Spouse Tuition Aid Program (STAP)

Vice Admiral E. P. Travers Loan Program (Travers Program)


Navy-Marine Corp Relief Society Spouse Tuition Aid Program (STAP)

Vice Admiral E. P. Travers Loan Program (Travers Program)